Dead by dawn! Dead by dawn! You’ll burn, you’ll burn, you’ll burn in Hell!
“I fear that the only way to stop those possessed by the spirits of the book is through the act of… bodily dismemberment. ” - The Evil Dead (1981)
Countdown to Halloween → The Evil Dead (1981), Sam Raimi
It is entitled “Naturum De Montum”, roughly translated: Book of the Dead. The book is bound in human flesh and inked in human blood.
31 Favorite Horror Movies
#22. Evil Dead 2 1987)
Directed by Sam Raimi
- Then let’s head on down into that cellar and carve ourselves a witch. - Ash
- There’s something out there. That… that witch in the cellar is only part of it. It lives… out in those woods, in the dark… something… something that’s come back from the dead. - Ash
- I’ll swallow your soul! I’ll swallow your soul! I’ll swallow your soul! - Henrietta
- [aims shotgun at Henrietta’s face] Swallow this. - Ash
- Groovy - Ash
- A glove belonging to the A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Freddy Krueger character can be seen hanging above the door of the tool shed when Ash carves his girlfriends head with a chainsaw and when he’s looking for the pages in the later cellar scenes. This was in response to the use of The Evil Dead (1981) on a television screen in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984).
- One of the books on the can that traps Ash’s possessed hand is Ernest Hemingway’s “A Farewell to Arms”.
- Most of the film was shot on a set built inside the gymnasium of the JR Faison Junior High School in Wadesboro, North Carolina.
- Often considered to be a remake of The Evil Dead (1981); however, this is not accurate. The rights to show scenes from the original could not be obtained to re-cap what happened, so the beginning was remade to explain how Ash got to the cabin, etc.